Monday, April 23, 2007

Second Life at Libraries

It seems like over the past couple days, I keep hearing about Second Life and how it's being used by libraries to offer services and programs in a Web 2.0 environment. This led me to wonder "What exactly ARE libraries building in Second Life?" Here are a couple of things that I've stumbled across:

State Library of Kansas: Daniel Cornwall from the Alaska State Library explains how the State Library of Kansas is using Second Life to create a virtual library branch and to dispense reference services including government information such as maps, and statistical information.

Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County: Jill Hurst-Wahl discusses the "Alliance Information Archipelago" which is a group of islands on Second Life dedicated to supplying library services. PLCMC owns one such island called "Eye4You" which focuses on offering public library services to teenagers playing the online game. To learn more about Eye4You click here.

I also discovered a nifty Photo Pool on Flickr that displays images of virtual libraries on Second Life. You can browse the photos here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/secondlifelibrary/

Finally, I found a "tour" of Info. Island/Second Life Libraries on You Tube. The graphics are a little jerky and require some getting used to, but it does offer a really nice intro. to the look and feel of the game. To learn more about Info. Island, click here.

3 comments:

Erin said...

so what IS second life? I've never heard of it.

Christy said...

Second Life is a massively multiplayer online game (MMO). To play the game, you create an avatar of yourself and then live your "Second Life." If you've always dreamed of being a rockstar, you can totally do that in Second Life.

As a player in the game, you are free to interact with other player avatars, and visit virtual locations (like libraries). You usually travel from place-to-place by walking, flying or (in the case of the YouTube video I posted) by roller skating.

I first heard about Second Life less than 6 months ago. However, now that I have heard of it, it seems like I keep seeing it everywhere!

Erin said...

Ok, thanks for the info :) I think I'll steer clear of that one just b/c I tend to get "addicted" to online games! LOL