Thursday, April 12, 2007

Organizing My Life with Web 2.0!!

I just made my life a whole lot easier, and I have Web 2.0 to thank!!!

Before using RSS and del.cio.us, I saved links to articles, checklists, reports, work-related blogs, newsletters, and online journals in my Bookmarks. I kept the frequently updated sites (blogs, newsletters, and online journals) in a Bookmark folder titled "Websites to Check". As part of the name of the bookmark I had written in parentheses how often I needed to check it (daily), (weekly), (quarterly), etc.

I kept other bookmarks filed away in (what I thought) were self-evident folder names like "Website Design" and "Digitization".

Unfortunately, my bookmarks grew over time and took on a life of their own. I had so many bookmarks tucked away in various folders that I didn't even remember them all!!

Today, I went on a mission: to organize my life with Web 2.0

First, I signed up for an account on del.icio.us and installed the bookmarklets "My del.icio.us" and "Post to del.icio.us" on the toolbar of my browser.

I then went through my list of bookmarks, clicking each one. If it was no longer relevant for my work, it was deleted. If it was something with an RSS feed, I clicked my "Bloglines" bookmarklet and seemlessly ingested it into my Bloglines account. If it was an article, bibliography, report, or otherwise non-changing site, I clicked on my "post to del.icio.us" bookmarklet and it went easily into del.icio.us.

The whole thing went incredibly quick and was surprisingly easy. I was able to delete all the bookmarks that I moved into del.icio.us or Bloglines and now my bookmark list is short, sweet, and easy to use!!

I, for one, welcome our new RSS and social bookmarking overlords!!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Thanks sooooooo much for posting this! I never really paid del.icio.us much attention, but after reading your blog, I signed up. I have a TON of links here at home that I would love to be able to access while I'm at work during lunch or on break or something; I never really thought about del.icio.us being able to help there!

Reference/Electronic Resources Librarian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reference/Electronic Resources Librarian said...

What great ideas, Christy! Thanks for sharing them!