Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Web 2.0 Meetings at the State Library of NC

I am very excited to be part of the Web 2.0 meetings for State Library of NC and NC State Agency Librarians (http://www.web2atlunch.blogspot.com/).

Our meetings are based on the Learning 2.0 Blog developed and maintained by the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg Counties: http://plcmcl2-things.blogspot.com

I really like the way the curricula is laid out, because I'll get the opportunity to play with various Web 2.0 applications as I work my way through the lessons.

Speaking of lessons, the very first lesson required me to create a "Learning Contract" to outline what I'd like to learn throughout this Web 2.0 experience. I've recreated the contract below. It's very general, but hopefully interesting!!

Learning Contract
  • I will learn how Web 2.0 applications can be used to enhance the user's experience in a library setting. These applications include blogs, wikis, image hosting sites, RSS feeds, social bookmarking sites, tagging software, social video sharing sites, podcasts, and online tutorials.
  • I will familiarize myself with the use of these applications by May 10th, but will continue to learn as new social software becomes available.
  • Obstacles:
    • Time: Do I have enough time to devote to learn this knowledge now and after the completion of the Web 2.0 meetings in May?
    • Technology Expertise: Do I have enough technological know-how to play with these various applications?
  • Overcoming Obstacles:
    • Time: I will devote a little portion of each day to researching new Web 2.0 applications and their possible use in library settings
    • Technology Expertise: If I experience any technological problems, I will use the tools listed below in my "tool box" to overcome them.
  • Toolbox:
    • Will use online tutorials and work through instructions for Web 2.0 applications as available
    • Will discuss issues with other members of the Web 2.0 group
    • Will read research related to the implementation of Web 2.0 in libraries to discover new/creative uses of Web 2.0 applications

No comments: